Tuesday, August 3, 2010
A kinder solution
Well, today Hope's doctor talked with the pediatric cardiologist and the surgeon who was dealing with her bowels. The cardiologist confirmed that the valve was closed. Yay! Before talking with the other surgeon, our doctor was pretty convinced that Hope had a blockage in her bowels that might require surgery. The radiologist thought it might be an infection. But the bowel surgeon (there has to be a better title than that, I just don't know what it is) thinks it is actually some poop that is stuck and just needs to move through. His solution? An enema. I'm so happy that's what she needs instead of surgery. When we went this afternoon the nurse said she had passed a little. The doctor then came in and said we really won't know if it is working until later tonight or tomorrow morning. Please pray this works and we can avoid any other icky solutions. Other news... they decided to start a 5 day course of the bad steroid. I really shouldn't call it that, but those side effects are pretty freaky. The doctor assures me that they are giving her a low dose for a short time period. The side effects of this steroid are most noticeable in babies under 2 weeks old and Hope is 2 and a half weeks. Please pray these work quickly also and she is able to get off the ventilator. Every day it seems like we get these scary reports, but then we go to look at her and she looks so good. Thank you, Lord, for watching over my baby girl. And thanks again to all of you for praying.